home > Student Guide > Internship Program and Employment > Employment

Internship Program and Employment
1. Internship program
2. Employment
2. Employment
  The number of international students who obtain employment in Japanese companies after graduation is increasing year by year. According to the Immigration Bureau, the number of international students who applied to change their status of residence so that they could work in Japan was 4,132 in 2001. Permission was granted to 3,581 of them (86.7%.)

  The main points taken into account when screening applications for a change of status of residence for the purpose of employment are:
1) educational background,
2) the type of jobs in which the applicant wants to be employed,
3) remuneration and
4.condition of the company concerned.

  Educational background includes graduates of universities, junior colleges and colleges of technology, and those who graduated from specialized training colleges and obtained a qualification of "senmon-shi (technical associate)." Concerning the type of jobs, it is important that your work should be related to your major in the case of technical associates. For example, it would be difficult, in principle, for someone who studied costume design to obtain a change in status to work as a computer programmer. As regards remuneration, the salary should be at least the same as that of Japanese employees. As regards the condition of the company, there are no official standards, but the company should fulfill certain standards in terms of its stable business foundation and performance.

  For details about procedures and documents necessary for application, please consult Regional Immigration Bureaus.  Information on employment in Japan can be obtained from the following:
  (1) Consult the people who have studied in Japan and now work for Japanese companies;
  (2) Inquire from the careers advice office of your school;
  (3) Refer to employment magazines for international students;
  (4) Attend employment seminars for international students;
  (5) Participate in visits to companies;
  (6) Contact consulting organizations such as the Center for Domestic and Foreign Students and the Employment Service Center for Foreigners (Refer to Chapter 15.)

| What's new | About JAGAM | Activities & Events | Report | Membership | Student Guide |
| JNB | JCB | JSB |
| TAYORI | Links| Guest Book | Feedback Form |

Copyright 2002 Japan Graduates' Association of Malaysia . All Rights Reserved